I’m weighing in on this new Tomb Raider thing. Specifically, what made me want to write was this insulting article (Kotaku), which gives a new context to the images we’ve seen from the new Tomb Raider game.
Read through to the main article. Here I will just try to anticipate the most common rebuttals:
- I am not against women getting in to combat situations.
- Not against violence in games.
- Not against sex or sexuality in games.
- I am not against the hero’s journey…
- or the heroine’s journey.
- I am not at any moment suggesting that female characters should not be allowed to go on adventures.
- I am not against the depiction of danger toward female characters.
- I am not against the fictitious portrayal of rape/attempted rape in adult media.